[obol] Western Meadowlarks at south jetty

  • From: Beverly Hallberg <mapsout@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 22:24:46 -0700

I also saw 3 and possibly 5 of these on the 29th at the jetty. It was high
tide and they were confined to the area near the trail to the beach - on
both sides. I agree that the tails in flight were much whiter than usual -
broader white area. By comparison I had just been watching a Western
Meadowlark continually flush at Broughton Beach on the 27th with only a few
outer white tail feathers and the difference was marked. I couldn't get a
picture at the jetty but I did get a reasonable look at one standing in a
group and only saw a little yellow on the chest/ belly like Owen' pics. And
spent an hour watching them fly in profile at close range. Thanks for the
pics and helping me understand why they looked so different.

Beverly