[obol] Re: Western Kingbird Coos County

  • From: Don Henise <kiskadee3@xxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 21:12:16 -0700

I walked down to the Coos County Fairgrounds after Robyn went to work this evening. The Western Kingbird that we saw on Sunday morning was still hanging around the same area. I had my DSLR with me this time and was able to capture a few decent shots:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S66886097

On 4/5/2020 2:38 PM, Don Henise wrote:

Robyn and I went for a walk around Myrtle Point this morning and found an early Western Kingbird in the Coos County Fairgrounds.

My eBird description:

Large flycatcher with gray head with black line through eye to bill, gray back and breast, dark brown wings, black tail with outer white feathers, yellow belly and undertail coverts. Bird was active around field on east side of main grandstand in fairgrounds, flying sorties from light post to wires to fence, calling occasionally. At one point chased an intruding Common Raven. Only managed some poor phone pictures as I did not have my DSLR or my spotting scope with me. Earliest previous Coos record according to Tim Rodenkirk is April 18.

eBird link: https://ebird.org/checklist/S66689253

--
Don Henise

Myrtle Point, OR