[obol] Re: Western Gull Interview

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rosemaryiriselliot@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 11:43:05 -0700

I'm not sure what the experience is in Portland, but down here in Coos Cty the Western Gulls rarely give interviews. It doesn't seem that they are very shy, as they tend to stand around quite a bit and don't generally flee from humans, and then also tend to squawk and hollar a fair amount, so they do seem to have something to say. However, whenever I have ever approached them for an interview, they suddenly seem rather leery and generally keep a safe distance away. Maybe their politics are a bit controversial, I don't know. One would think that as birds they are fairly liberal, with the ability to fly and bend in any direction, however, based on their rather restricted range and their general distaste of traveling far away from the coast, maybe they are much more conservative than I think. Anyhow, I wish you luck finding some gulls to interview, maybe in Portland they are a little bit more loose, and willing to share a few tidbits. I for one certainly look forward to hearing what's on their mind, why they do they things they do, and just where on the liberal-conservative spectrum they tend to, er, land.

(sorry I couldn't resist....)

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 3/16/2016 10:53 AM, Rosemary Elliot wrote:

Hey everyone, I'm new to this list serve thing so not sure if I'm doing it right...

My name is Rosemary Elliot and I am a student journalist at Franklin High School in Portland, Oregon. I am currently writing a feature story on sea gulls (Western) in Portland, regarding their migration patterns and behavior. It sees more and more are appearing around our campus! I would very much appreciate the opportunity to interview someone. If anyone is available, ideally I’d like to talk in person or over the phone, however, I am also willing to correspond via email.
If there is any important information you think would be helpful for me to look at I’d appreciate the recommendation!

Thanks for your time!
Rosemary Elliot
503-459-8529