[obol] Wallowas Spruce Grouse, SJC Lapland Longspur &PG Plover, Ilwaco Bar tailed and Hudsonian Godwit

  • From: Khanh Tran <khanhbatran@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 04:45:12 +0000

Made a two stops during Sunday to look for the previously reported Sharp tailed
Sandpipers at the Astoria Mitigation Ponds but they were no shows.

A brief stop at South Jetty at the Columbia River produced at least 2-3 LAPLAND
LONGSPURS and one PACIFIC GOLDEN PLOVER.

A great day at Ilwaco Boat Basin in Ilwaco, WA!  In addition to the  finding
the BAR TAILED  and HUDSONIAN GODWIT (previously found by Mike Patterson), I
found two SHARP TAILED SANDPIPERS feeding with 3 Pectorals in the late
afternoon.    These birds were feeding closely to the large flock of 40-50
godwits.  The birds were along the mudflats towards the end of the Ilwaco boat
basin parking lot.  Walk on the grassy hillside along the treeline and you will
see the extensive mudflat.

The tides were not in my favor today, even at high tide, the birds were far
away for good photos and scope views.

While soaking in the nice rays and watching the godwits, five ELEGANT TERNS
flew by.  There were also a few Bonaparte's Gulls.

This place is only 30 minutes from Astoria and those who want to study all
three godwits should go SOON!!

I will try to post a few photos soon.  A whirlwind trip from the Wallowas to
Ilwaco, WA in less than one day, so I'm tuckered out.

On Saturday, we birded McCully Creek and the beautiful area produced several
SPRUCE GROUSE including a gorgeous, adult male.  Along Hwy 3 at the Cascade
Auto Loop, we found 3 DUSKY GROUSE.  It rained and hailed so birding was very
suppressed but we had a grand time.   We also found a MOUNTAIN GOAT along Hwy
84 about 6 miles west of LaGrande!

Peace, love and good birding.

Khanh Tran

________________________________

From: khanhbatran@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Bar tailed and Hudsonian Godwit at Ilwaco Boat Basin
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 19:31:43 +0000

I found a Bar Tailed Godwit along with the Hudsonian Godwit at noon
today at the Ilwaco Boat Basin. Both birds are associating with a
flock of 40 to 50 Marbled Godwit along the mudflats at a distance.

Judy Butts and I had good studies of all the godwits for a good hour.
The Huddonian was much smaller and slender and moved much quicker than
the others while feeding.

Good birding,

Khanh Tran