[obol] WESO bark (Re: Owls, NW Portland)

  • From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 23:01:53 -0700

It is worth one's time to memorize this alternate call of a Western Screech-Owl
as it is the most often heard vocalization of winter CBCs.
An excellent recording of this type of call can be found here....by Oregon's
very own Dave Herr.
http://macaulaylibrary.org/audio/47543/megascops-kennicottii-western-screech-owl-united-states-oregon-david-herr
Good birding,
Russ NamitzMedford
************************************The Western Screech-Owls make an
interesting barking sound, plus the more typical bouncing-ball song.  I think
they have been nesting in a treed area along our street, and they seem to
follow a nightly routine where they move away from our street then return
between 10pm and 5am.

- Diana Byrne
NW Portland