[obol] WESO Call and Video

  • From: Rhett Wilkins <rhettwilkins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 04:55:31 -0700

Hi All,

A Western Screech-Owl sat in front of my window calling at 2:30am this
morning.  While I know they breed nearby, they only occur in my yard a
couple of times a year.  This individual was producing this juvenile call (
http://www.flickr.com/photos/boundtobird/9401807037/) repeatedly until it
finally went into its bouncing ball call.  While adults may or may not
produce this particular call note too, fledglings that are only days out of
the nest definitely produce it, and often.

I get the feeling that this was a young bird leaving its parents'
territory, but it strikes me as being a bit early.  That said, I know their
nesting season is highly variable.  Perhaps, these guys fledged in April.
I'll be interested to see if folks start reporting birds moving around
their neighborhoods and yards in the very near future.  Juvenile dispersal
may be underway.

Good birding!

Rhett