[obol] Vulture Courtship or Rivalry? Video

  • From: Bigrocketman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 08:50:23 +0000 (UTC)

   On Wednesday just before sunset, two Turkey Vultures were riding the air
currents over the North Face of Mt. Pisgah, near Eugene. One repeatedly made
swooping dives on the other, which is something I haven't seen before. I don't
know if it was courtship activity or if one was trying to drive the other from
its territory. The video is here:

https://vimeo.com/65284447

Regarding the photos of the small white goose posted by Dawn V., it looks like
an immature Lesser Snow Goose. Judging by the size and bill length of the other
bird, it's probably a Lesser Canada Goose.

Steve McDonald

http://flickr.com/photos/22121562@N00/
http://www.vimeo.com/user458315/videos
http://cid-229807ce52dd4fe0.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Video?uc=2