[obol] Volunteer opportunity - Amazing Avian Adventures Await!!!

  • From: Neil Holcomb <c.n.holcomb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 16:24:29 -0700

Searching for Long-billed Curlew nests on the Boardman Bombing Range has
begun! The USGS research team would welcome your assistance. Nest
searching days generally begin at 6am at the range. We do behavioral
observations to determine possible nest locations, and also use
rope-dragging methods to locate nests. We plan a major nest-searching
effort and hopefully curlew-trapping effort from 4/27 - 5/1 that may also
afford some opportunity to learn about other research techniques used in
the investigation of these interesting birds. The Boardman Bombing Range
(aka: Naval Weapons System Training Facility or NWSTF) is an active
military installation and a short (less than 1 hour) safety training is
required before working on the Range. USGS Volunteer Agreements are
required, and volunteers furnish personal equipment.

If you think you'd enjoy interesting ornithology in a historical area of
Oregon that is closed to public access, please let me know.

Neil Holcomb
541-740-5647