[obol] Vanport Wetlands & Force Lake

  • From: Grant Canterbury <grantandstacy17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 09:26:52 -0700

Vanport wetlands are almost entirely dry, with nary a waterbird in sight.
However, I had a nice close comparative look at a mixed flock of Audubon's
and Myrtle Warblers, as well as an Orange-crowned.

Force Lake is also as low as I've seen it, with algal growth and extensive
mudflats. Not exactly beautiful, but there was a nice group of pipits
taking advantage of it, as well as several Wilson's Snipe out on the mud
probing deeply and doing their imitation of dowitchers. A few starlings
thought this looked like a good idea and were mud-poking right next to the
snipe; an odd combo.

Grant Canterbury
<grantandstacy17@xxxxxxxxx>