[obol] Re: Vagrant Bird Behavior

  • From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 14:56:32 -0500 (EST)

Good thoughts -
In the 4 years I have been here in North Carolina, there has been a pretty good list of western vagrant land birds, but certainly not the kinds of numbers that coastal California sees for easterns.
Off the top of my  head in these 4 years,
Black-chinned HummingbirdRufous HummingbirdRufous X Anna's HummingbirdAsh-throated FlycatcherPacific Slope/Cordilleran FlycatcherHammond's FlycatcherGolden-crowned SparrowMountain BluebirdMacGillivray's WarblerTownsend's WarblerAudubon's (Yellow-rumped) WarblerBlack-throated Gray WarblerWestern TanagerBlack-headed GrosbeakLazuli Bunting
A "Nashville" warbler has wintered near Raleigh this year, and locals are convinced it is actually a "Calaveras" Warbler, the western version.  A Wilson's Warbler wintering here in Wilmington this year appears to be the northern/eastern subspecies, but one that wintered 2 years ago looked more lica a Pacific Coast bird.
Wayne