[obol] Updated photos: Mountain Quail, displaying Sooty Grouse, Great Gray, Long-eared and Saw-whet owls and other fun birds

  • From: Khanh Tran <khanhbatran@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 15:06:14 +0000

This past Sunday, Wendy Duncan and Krista Daniel visited the Johnson Rd area
along Hwy 47 in pursuit for the often heard or flush only, Mountain Quail.

The late morning was surprisingly birdy here with lots of the usual suspects
singing on their breeding grounds.  We had great looks of Warbling and Hutton's
Vireo, MacGillivray's, Wilson's,  Black throated Gray, and Hermit Warbler,
Western Wood Pewee, Willow, and Olive Sided Flycatcher.  The Olive Sided
Flycather was at eye level "PIP-ing" away.  As we explored some of the back
roads, we luckily found the elusive but beautiful, Mountain Quail.  I spotted
the bird at the distance and it remained out in the open for a minute.   Later,
its mate came out to join in and quickly followed it.  Both scurried away into
the dense brush.  We also saw another pair about 4 feet in front of us as they
across the road.   Other fun birds in the area,  included Band-tailed Pigeons,
Gray Jays, and Evening Grosbeaks.  Seems like Evening Grosbeaks are quite
common this spring and always a treat to see or hear them.

Mid-day, we spent our quality birding time admiring the seabirds at Haystack
Rock.  We had crippling looks at about a couple dozen Harlequin Ducks, Tufted
Puffins, Brandt's and Pelagic  Cormorants, Pigeon Guillemot, Common Murres, and
Black Oystercatchers.  A Peregrine falcon breezed by to add to the excitement.

En route home, we birded the Timber area in the late afternoon but didn't find
it as productive.  Hermit Warblers were in good number and singing with vigor
high in the tree tops.  Our target bird here, was the Sooty Grouse. We easily
found and located a large, male booming within a minute of getting out of the
car.  We admired the fancy chicken for 20 minutes as it partially displayed and
blended in perfectly with bark of the big fir.  As we were about to leave, we
noticed some more pronounced tail fanning.   And all of a sudden, BANG---the
large forest chicken was in full breeding display; enlarged eye combs, fully
fanned tail, and exposed air sacs.   A female had entered his turf and he got
all excited.  He fully displayed in the tree for a minute or so before landing
to the ground and continuing his dance within 15 feet from us.   What a
magnificent forest chicken.

What a fun way to end the day and the weather was fabulous!

Selected photos of the Mountain and Sooty Grouse can be seen here along with
several updated photos of owls and woodpeckers!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23662496@N02/with/14295705275/

Good birding, peace and love,

Khanh Tran

ktbirding.com