[obol] Updated County List Totals

  • From: Charles Gates <cgates326@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 17:43:22 -0700

In case some of you didn't know, I have been attempting to keep accurate county lists for each of Oregon's 36 counties. It's not easy and not everyone is happy with my lists but it's the best I can do. If you want to check each county list, go to http://ecbcbirds.org/birdingoregon/CheckLists/tabid/162/Default.aspx and check them out. I would love to hear from you if you have something to add. This project is in association with the Birding Oregon Site Guide which can be viewed at http://www.birdingoregon.info/.

Since I was a little bored today, I decided to update the list of counties and their totals. I've pasted the results below. Since December of 2013 when I last tallied, a total of 24 counties added species to their lists. These counties are in red below. Many of these additions were the result of new birds being discovered in the county. However, some counties gained species because people came forward with credible reports of species missing from the list, but seen in the past. Two counties actually lost species (Lake, Columbia) because of corrections in erroneous numbers in previous tallies. The grand prize for increased species in the time period goes to Morrow County. Morrow added 17 species due, in no small part, to the Oregon 2020 Project's Birding Blitz there earlier this year.

This project is completely dependent on input from the birding community so, if you have information that might help, please drop me a line.

Here are the current totals as I have them.

Update
8_21_14
Lane    *415*
Lincoln         *408*
Coos    *406*
Curry   404
Douglas *385*
Harney  381
Tillamook       *371*
Clatsop 369
Multnomah       348
Klamath *347*
Deschutes       344
Lake    *343*
Jackson *338*
Benton  *330*
Marion  *321*
Linn    *315*
Polk    *312*
Umatilla        *309*
Washington      303
Union   *301*
Grant   *301*
Wallowa         294
Clackamas       *294*
Crook   *293*
Jefferson       287
Malheur 287
Yamhill         *286*
Wasco   285
Baker   *278*
Josephine       *275*
Morrow  *275*
Hood River      *274*
Columbia        273
Sherman         *269*
Wheeler         *258*
Gilliam         254

--
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for
sure that just ain't so.

Chuck Gates
541-280-4957
Powell Butte,