[obol] Unusual looking Cackling Goose - Fernhill Wetlands

  • From: Steve Nord <stevernord@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 12:17:53 -0700

OBOL;

This morning I was scanning through the thousands of CACKLING GEESE that
spend the night at Fernhill. In the sea of white-cheeks, I came across a
dark headed goose. Initially I thought I had found a Brant, but it's tiny
bill looked wrong for that. Quickly I realized it was another Cackling
Goose, but lacking the white cheek. Very cool looking bird.

I've seen many Cackler's that have increased white on the cheek, face or
neck, and even entire body, but this was the first Cackler I've seen with
increased black. 2 photos can be found on my Flickr page:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40075846@N04/

Good Birding
Steve Nord
Beaverton, OR