[obol] Unusual Gull Lane Coast May 23

  • From: Daniel Farrar <jdanielfarrar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 12:07:47 -0700

While out at Sutton Beach at the north end of Florence this AM we saw an
unusual hooded type gull.  We took several photos, but conditions were very
poor.  The gull was no longer there about an hour and a half after our
initial detection around 8:15 AM.

The bird was larger than a Boney (which we saw about 10 of) and had a
rather large looking bill.  The legs were orangish and the bill was dark.
When it flew we noted what looked like a dark trailing edge to the flight
feathers (secondaries) and the tail feathers (rectrices).  We did not have
much time to study the bird as we were working, so I am hoping for some
opinions here.

https://flic.kr/p/nr1tuG
https://flic.kr/p/nr1gVP
https://flic.kr/p/nr1EyH