[obol] Unofficial CBC: Sheldon NWR, Nevada on Dec 19th

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 19:41:26 -0800

Hi all,

At least few of us will be birding the Virgin Valley area of Sheldon
National Wildlife Refuge on the morning of Thursday, December 19th (the
morning after the Hart Mountain CBC).

The aim this year will be to scope interest and possibilities for an
eventual official CBC, to be held in conjunction with the Hart Mountain
CBC and in coordination with Summer Lake.

Refuge staff are supportive of the idea, and free lodging at Sheldon may
be an option in the future (as it already is for Hart Mountain). We
expect to get some Nevada birders involved from the Reno and Winnemucca
areas.

The Virgin Valley contains a series of hot-spring-fed ponds which are
waterfowl magnets in an otherwise mostly frozen landscape. This is one
of the few places where I've ever watched a Common Goldeneye swimming on
a pond just 50 ft away. Other diving and dabbling ducks plus marsh birds
can be expected, along with more hardy birds of the high desert.

The exact circle coordinates remain to be defined, but I hope to work
those out next weekend. It will probably contain a small sliver of
Oregon. Meanwhile, if this sounds interesting for this year, or in
future years, I'll be glad to hear from you.

Good birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier