[obol] Umpqua Estuary Paddle 7 Aug 2013, Douglas County

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 15:22:38 -0700

Hi Folks,

Yesterday, my two boys and I paddled from Salmon Harbor up to Gardner in
the Umpqua River Estuary. It was a nice time, but the fog came and went and
then came in a big thick drench just after noon, which drove us to Gardner
more quickly than I would have liked (after which it cleared beautifully!).
Anyway...

Changes noted from previous trip a couple weeks ago:

*WESTERN GULLS, including juveniles, have moved out into the estuary in
small numbers, joining the hundreds of CALIFORNIA GULLS.

*The very beginnings of waterfowl have arrived, though only groups of
dozens of MALLARDS. Waterfowl will continue to pick up through the fall.
Pintail and Green-winged Teal should arrive soon.

*Still low shorebird diversity, but greater numbers this time: 150
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER (that didn't stay long enough for photos), 20
SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, 25 WESTERN SANDPIPERS, 80 LEAST SANDPIPERS. Least and
Western sandpipers were about half adult/half juvenile.

*In other highlights, just as we were entering the channel from Salmon
Harbor an ELEGANT TERN flew by going upriver, but we never saw it again.

Complete eBird checklist:

Some Flickr Photos (not many, as it was pretty foggy most of the time):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/sets/72157634985005473/

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR