[obol] Umpqua Estuary Boat Trip, Dec 12

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ub <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 16:09:52 -0800

Greetings Birders,

The Umpqua Estuary is one of Oregon's largest, most remote and beautiful
estuaries on the Oregon Coast. It is also one of Oregon's Important Bird
Areas (http://audubonportland.org/local-birding/iba/iba-map/umpqua). You
are invited to join a small group (only 6 passengers including me) as we
travel from Salmon Harbor about 8 miles upriver to near Gardiner in a
26-foot charter boat. Along the way we will see densely forested shorelines
rock cliffs, giant dunes, mudflats, harbor seals, many species of
waterfowl, loons and grebes, cormorants, gulls, kingfisher, and likely bald
eagles, peregrine falcon, black-bellied plover, and dunlin, among others.
If seas are calm enough, we will include some nearshore ocean time before
or after the estuary cruise. Cost $100-$150 depending on how many sign up.

Complete checklist from Dec 22, 2013

Photos from Oct 25, 2013:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/albums/72157636991402486

You will want to be prepared/dressed for weather conditions, and bring a
lunch/snacks/water. We will depart from Salmon Harbor in Winchester Bay at
about 8 a.m. and return about 3 p.m. (more details later).

To reserve your spot, contact Matt Hunter, matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx,
541-670-1984, with names and phone numbers for those participating.

Looking forward to it!

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR
541-670-1984