[obol] Umpqua Estuary 23 August 2013

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 12:12:49 -0700

Hi Folks,

On Friday, 23 August 2013, my daughter Katy and I paddled the Umpqua
Estuary from Salmon Harbor to Gardiner, low tide to high tide.  I have been
doing this paddle about every 15 days since mid-July to see the changes in
species and numbers over time.

Highlights:
--Better weather- low-hanging fog in morning, but maintained visibility
along river.
--More shorebird species (10) and numbers (3000 Western Sandpipers)
--Peregrine Falcons chasing shorebirds
--No Bald Eagles observed
--Western Gulls continue to increase in lower river, with general pattern
of California Gulls above them, and Ring-billeds increasing upriver.
--Still no waterfowl besides Mallards, Canada Geese, and Common Merganser.
--7 Elegant Terns, including at least 2 juvs.

Lots of Photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/sets/72157635225484645/

Complete annotated list at

Matt Hunter