[obol] Umatilla/Morrow/Sherman Co

  • From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 23:09:01 -0800

Tim Shelmerdine and myself did some birding along the Columbia River today.

Highlights include:
UMATILLA COCold Springs NWR3+ Ross's Geese among many thousand Snow Geese &
several thousand Cackling Geese8 Tundra Swans, 3 American White Pelicans, 1
Northern Shoveler, 1 Canvasbackprobable 15+ Dunlin with 5+ Least Sandpipers
(seen in flight by me)
Hat Rock State Park (river only to the east)1 Greater Scaup, 1 Ruddy Duck, 1
Clark's Grebe, 2 Common Loons, 1 Thayer's Gull, 1 American Pipit
McNary Dam1 Mew Gull, 2 Thayer's Gulls, 2 Herring Gulls, 14 Bonaparte's Gulls1
Surf Scoter (http://goo.gl/maps/rWd4S)
MORROW COBoardman Marina15 Cackling Geese, 1 Common Loon, 1 Merlin
SHERMAN COJohn Day Dam30+ Bonaparte's Gulls
Deschutes River Rec Area1 Golden-crowned Sparrow, 1 Pacific Wren, 1 American
Dipper??
*heard a bird calling incessantly from the river habitat that reminded me of
the pseudo-"Black Phoebe" call that Golden-crowned Sparrow sometimes give.
However, it was much louder and seemed to be coming from tussock islands in the
river channel.  Tim and I moved around trying for a look at the caller, but
could never get a visual.  When we reconvened, we both came independently to
"probable" American Dipper, but neither of us are familiar with this particular
call.  Thus far, I haven't been able to find a duplicate call from Xeno Canto,
Macaulay or YouTube.  Any ideas?
Good birding,Russ Namitz