[obol] Tumalo Falls, Black Swifts, Wednesday birders evening birding - Deschutes County

  • From: "judy" <jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 00:01:06 -0700

From: judy
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 11:57 PM
To: cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Tumalo Falls, Black Swifts, Wednesday birders

Well, 2 far away birds and fleeting glimpses but the shape, flight style  and
size, especially the comparison when alongside Common Nighthawk, were
distinctive enough that most of us believed that we saw BLACK SWIFTS, perhaps 2
at a time, out at the same time as the nighthawks, high over the ridge line to
the south. Courtney noted the time as 8:25 pm when we had the 2 birds. Most of
us watched for a few seconds.  We were never able to get them in the scopes.
Earlier there was one suspect bird but it was soooo distant, we didn’t feel
confident about it. Zero swallows or Vaux’s Swifts about but when it got darker
little brown bats were flying about.

We were distracted for a while from swift watching because a female SOOTY
GROUSE slowly  skulked out onto the road near us. A LONG-TAILED WEASEL came out
near her and dashed across the road. Soon, her young came across one at a time,
as she carefully watched them duck into the safety of the roadside manzanita.
Very cool and entertaining for us.

Our nightjarring turned up both Common Nighthawks and Common Poorwill ( heard
only). All of it was fun this evening, fun birders too.  Wednesday birders will
repeat this trip up there next week, hope for same stars to appear.  Will try
for owls too. Birders tonight, Tess Bastian, Tess Almquist, Marilyn Almquist,
Courtney Jett, Cathy Beck, and Judy Meredith.

SOOTY GROUSE – 3
Common Nighthawks – many, sometimes 6 or more in one small area at a time .
Common Poorwill – 2 or 3 on the slope above 430 road near the gate.
BLACK SWIFT – 2 or 3

Good birding, judy, jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx