[obol] Tillamook county, 5-8-2013

  • From: "dawn" <d_villa@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 23:19:11 -0400

Took a scouting trip in prep for NAMC this weekend -- at Nestucca NWR there was
a BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK singing from atop a huge conifer in the bottom parking
lot. An OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER was flycatching from a wire on the way up the
hill. At the top, 3 huge wild TURKEYS were gobbling loudly near the viewing
platform.

Stopped at a little campground along the Little Nestucca River, Castle Rock -
found an AMERICAN DIPPER and, as I was leaving, a PILEATED WOODPECKER flew
over.

At the intersection of Hwy 101 and McCormick Rd just south of Tillamook city,
there were dozens (hundreds? -- seemed like it) of GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE,
with at least one CANADA/CACKLER-type in the mix. There was absolutely no place
to pull over and get good looks and I kept wondering if the farm there suddenly
had hundreds of domestic geese. Anyway, I turned around and tried McCormick Rd,
but too many cars also wanted that road at the same time so I just shot a quick
photo of part of the flock. When I drove back by at 4:30 or so, they were gone.

Decided to spend the rest of my day at Rain River. On Goodspeed Rd, ten COMMON
RAVENS were picking over a field that was being mowed. A noisy PACIFIC SLOPE
FLYCATCHER was rummaging in the brush along the trail. There were two PURPLE
MARTIN amongst the many swallows (neither of them near any of the nest gourds).
I don't know if it's unusual but I was surprised to see a female GADWALL in the
first pond, then a male down near the dike path (not sure how to describe that
area).

dawn
Lincoln City/Nelscott
Blogging About the Coast
dvillabirds.blogspot.com
Sometimes things come when you stop looking