[obol] Tillamook Bay Birds - Portland Audubon Field Trip

  • From: Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 11:17:00 -0700

Portland Audubon “Magpies” Tillamook Bay Field Trip Report

On Tuesday October 27, 19 birders visited several sites around Tillamook Bay.
We enjoyed a fun day of birding and great weather with temps in the 60s, little
wind, and no rain.

Highlights from selected locations. Bird counts estimated from my memory, final
checklists with will be posted on eBird:

McCormack Loop Road. near RR X-ing east end:
8 WHITE-TAILED KITES including several juveniles, 2-RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS the
pastures North of this road and West to 101 are holding a good mix of raptors
this year.

Goodspeed Road, from bridge west about .5 mile to south entry parking for
Tillamook Bay Wetlands
3 WHITE-TAILED KITES, 4 RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS, 2 BLACK PHOEBES, 1 PEREGRINE
FALCON, Several WESTERN MEADOWLARKS, winter sparrow flocks including one
LINCOLN SPARROW

Barview Tide Pools
4-HARLEQUIN DUCKS, 4 RED-NECKED GREBES, 4 HEERMAN’S GULLS nice to see
Harlequin’s using this area again, hope they stick around.

Bayview County Park (camping area)
A nice mixed flock including RED CROSSBILLS, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES, BROWN
CREEPER, CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES, both KINGLETS, and a WRENTIT see by a few.

Barview Jetty
Many SURFBIRDS and BLACK TURNSTONES accompanied by 2 Dunlin, this flock was
very confiding allowing pretty close approach and study. 15 BROWN PELICANS.
Offshore many flocks of SURF SCOTERS, PACIFIC LOONS, small groups of MEW &
HEERMAN’S GULLS and at least one group of WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS were southbound.
We were there at a very high tide about 9ft.

Port of Garibaldi east area near transient docks
many MEW GULLS roosting, 3 HEERMAN'S GULLS, 1 BLACK PHOEBE on the shoreline,
one seemly lost juvenile SNOW GOOSE

Birders were: Lavon and Bruce Frazier, Joji Kappes, Corky and Rainey Moore,
Marilyn Abend, Karen Chaivoe, Mary Ratcliff, Dena Turner, Pat Corkill, Pat
Johns, Richard and Caroline Arnold, Jeannie Bryant, Anita Torres, Chuck Nolte,
Rosemary Klein, Dick Demarest

All the best birding

Ken Chamberlain
Portland