[obol] Thoughts on DOWO winter roosts?

  • From: Zia Fukuda <zialeefukuda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 18:37:10 -0700

Hello all,
A year or so ago a friend of mine got me one of those "see through" bird
houses that you can stick on a window and secretly observe (creep on?)
Birds that come to nest in it via a plexiglass back. I didn't really think
I'd get anything, by putting it up, and I didn't, until now. For the last
several weeks I've had our resident pair of wintering downy woodpeckers
checking it out, excavating the entrance hole, and now spending time in the
nest box (as recently as....right now.) Any thoughts on to whether or not
they may be attempting to make a winter roost site out of this silly nest
box? The "viewing window" is partially obscured by some plants on the
windowsill, and the woodpeckers don't seemed to be bothered much by our
activity inside the house.

Cheers,
Zia Fukuda