[obol] Re: The history of photons

  • From: "Robert O'Brien" <baro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 12:29:06 -0700

A long time ago I drove from a Saturday NC pelagic trip overnight to
Brigantine wildlife
refuge for stakeout breeding-plumaged Rufous-necked Stint (yes, that's what
it was)
and Curlew Sandpiper. I found both pretty early on. Well worth the trip
although
I had to drive back to catch the plane back to Oregon. I spent the rest of
the
day looking for a Ruff (not a really rare bird on the east coast), which
would have been a lifer for me. No luck. As the sun set I took several
'scenic'
shots of the shorebird flats, rife with birds, reflecting the setting sun.
When I
got home I reviewed these photos and immediately spotted 'my' Ruff's distant
but distinctive profile, which I had not noticed when framing the photo.

Being a liberal rather than a conservative, I counted it, of course.
(later I 'counted' additional Ruffs & Reeves in Oregon, but you only get 1
lifer
per species)..

Bob OBrien
Carver OR

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I debate counting a bird I didn't actually see...

http://www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/northcoastdiaries/

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR