[obol] The Year of the Martin - Continues

  • From: BILL ROSIE TICE <watice@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 16:09:43 +0000

Hi All,
Over a week ago I would occasinally hear and see 1 or 2 Purple Martins while in
my garden or when eating breakfast on my porch.  Seemed to be almost daily.  By
a week ago it was certainly daily, and on Wednesday morning there were 8 of
them, and they would congregate on a snag on my next door neighbors property.
This morning there are at least 20 of them.

I presume they are staging for a south bound flight fairly soon.  (A few weeks
ago there were about 200 swallows gathered along the power lines at my place,
an event quite common, but not seen before at my place.)  Anyway, having
martins around is pretty cool since this a new fall occurance at my place, and
I presume these are local families that have nested in the Coast Range,
gathering for the vanishing trick soon.  I was thinking of putting up some
martin houses, but as I don't have any, it is not likely to happen.  But it
would be nice to see them return here next spring..........................

I wonder how many will be here tomorrow morning?

Bill Tice: Birding - The best excuse for getting outdoors, and avoiding chores.