[obol] The Curmudgeon continues...

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:27:42 -0700

That's quite true if what you're doing is counting inside an existing
circle or if you didn't keep track of the sites you counted at in order to
repeat them next time.  I'm thinking more of a way to generate data for
areas that currently don't have much, or that by their very nature can't
be done in a CBC circle or constitute a "natural" unit for counting.

Klamath Lake is a good example. Except for a tiny corner, NONE of it is in
a CBC circle.  It would take two complete circles to include all of it
(and even then you would not get the small corner that is now in the KF
CBC circle).  But the natural, desirable data set is for the lake as a
whole, and its margins.  There's no particular reason to count the north
half and the south half separately, yet under the CBC protocol you have
to. Under the Curmudgeon's protocol, the lake becomes the Klamath Lake
Winter Bird Count - a single sensible unit.

I agree that if you just counted here and there randomly, with the
"circle" never the same, the results might as well be eBird casual.  But
Klamath Lake (or a watershed, or a mountain) remains the same over time, a
sort of pre-established count area, and one with more commonality in terms
of avifauna than a CBC circle as we now know it.

--
Alan Contreras

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

Eugene, Oregon