[obol] Tangent (Linn Co) gulls

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 21:02:02 -0800

In a recently plowed field midway between I-5, exit 228
(Corvallis/Lebanon) and 99E
85 gulls in all. Dominant species was HERRING GULL, mostly adults
Half that many GLAUCOUS=WINGED, all ages present
One adult CALIFORNIA GULL
at least three adult RING-BILLED GULL
three or more adult THAYER'S GULLS, no Mews
Viewing conditions were fine but I had no scope. Many gulls were close up
against the
fence, but an equal number were 100s of meters away. Neither Thayer's nor
Herrings
had their winter hoods. Those dark feathers were just beginning to peek out,
giving
them a freckled look. This was at 11am. Gulls were frequently in this field and
others east
and west along Hwy 34 last winter at all hours. It's one to three miles west of
I-5 with plenty
of safe parking. Lars