[obol] Suttle Lake clean up trip - Vax Birders

  • From: jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Cobol <Cobol@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 01:54:37 +0000

Just wow. Thanks to many earlier reports of birds and terrific recent finds, and our eager group of 11 vaccinated birders helping each other, we pretty much saw it all.

LONG-TAILED DUCK was near the south end for good scope views. WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS, 8 or more, called and gave us visuals as they fed in cones on treetops in general area where the Link Campground and Caldera are at south end, both sides of the paved road.

WHITE-WINGED SCOTER, RED-NECKED GREBE and other waterfowl were around lake near Blue Bay and the lodge. We had 2 or 3 GREATER SCAUP, 1 REDHEAD mixed in with lessers and Ring-necked. Barrows and Common Goldeneye were even displaying today.

The SWAMP SPARROW was calling periodically over the hour+ we kept trying for a better visual as it occas moved about behind shrubs and grasses. Dippers singing and splashing while we watched and waited helped us to stick with it.

Lastly, one carload kept at it and stopped in Sisters at Jake's famous feeder for the reported WHITE-THROATED SPARROW and enjoyed great looks.

Some birders got lifers today, year birds or added to their county lists. And a Dec 1 with sunshine and temps in 60's added up to create a memorable day. I will send out the full list of birds later or in a.m.

Good birding, judy, jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx