[obol] Susan's Junco with white patches

  • From: "Steve Berliner" <forcreeks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL - post message" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 23:11:33 -0800

Re. Susan's white-patched (Leucistic) Junco.

Susan, if they're like Hummingbirds in this regard, and I suspect they would
be, they have a tremendous memory sense, including dates they are at various
forage sites. If you were to have noted the date of its prior appearance,
you might find it's within a couple days or less of last year's date.
Besides full or partial albinism, color abnormalities can be caused by
injuries and poor nutrition, among I suspect other causes; but since you
noticed patches in the very same numerous places, I'd suspect the same bird.
If looking for a great tale of Hummingbird rehabilitation with many of these
details and rescue "secrets," the book "Fastest Things on Wings" by Terry
Masear of Los Angeles Hummingbird Rescue is wonderful. Terry has taken in
six species of hummers. I have no affiliation with any of that. I was given
the book recently as a gift. Here's their web site:

http://www.losangeleshummingbirdrescue.org/

Steve Berliner

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 10:26:57 -0800

Subject: [obol] Rare or just unusual white-splotched Oregon junco?

From: SUSAN WHITE <swanwhite2025@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:swanwhite2025@xxxxxxxxx>

This is the second year (winter) that I have seen a junco in my Salem
(Oregon) backyard with white patches on back of head, under chin, and side
tail feathers. Otherwise looks just like the other juncos it hangs out with
who have no white markings. Anyone know what that is?

Thanks, Susan