[obol] Surprising birds dust bathing

  • From: Joseph Blowers <jblowers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 22:04:36 -0700

Today I saw a large group of Chestnut-backed Chickadees taking turns
dust-bathing in a dry path at Lost Lake in Hood River County. While I’ve seen a
number of species do dust bathing, it’s most often been ground nesting species
or invasive species like House Sparrows. Given this species propensity to hang
from misty conifer bows, it was surprising to see them wallowing in the dirt of
the pathway kicking up dust. Apparently there is some evidence for dust-bathing
reducing oil levels in feathers and some anecdotal evidence for it helping
control ectoparasites. I’d be interested if anyone else has seen this species
dust bathing.

Here is a link to my best photo of the phenomena:  https://flic.kr/p/onL7bb

Joe Blowers
Beaverton, OR