[obol] Streaked Horned Lark locations

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 20:07:17 -0800

Hi all,

I noticed Lars's posting. One thing to keep in mind, for any seekers of
Streaked Horned Larks, is that we're in between seasons right now.
Wintering flocks seem to be breaking up but we're not really into
nesting season yet.

Livermore Rd. north of Baskett Slough NWR (it bears mentioning that this
is almost all private land, outside of the federal refuge system) is
certainly one of the most important nesting areas, though not protected
under the 2013 USFWS listing decision. As I mentioned in a few days ago,
I found about 50 larks while walking this 8-mile stretch for an ODFW
survey in 2008, accounting for about 5% of the range-wide population.
However, reports this winter have only been sporadic.

Coville Rd. (note there is no "l" between the "o" and the "v," unlike
the place in NE Washington) as I also mentioned is good for nesting
season, but has had only intermittent reports this winter.

Glaser Rd. over in Linn Co. as I mentioned has at least a couple of
pairs of Streaked Horned Larks right now, and has had consistent reports
all winter. So that's where I would go if I really wanted to see
Streaked Horned Larks.

There is also Corvallis Airport, but most of the population there is in
areas not accessible to the general public.

Good birding,
Joel