[obol] Storm birding in Lincoln County - Black-vented Shearwater

  • From: whoffman@xxxxxxxx
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 13:18:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

I spent the morning along the coast from Newport to the south end of Lincoln
City, mainly looking at the ocean and beaches.
I arrived at Boiler Bay about 8:40, and rolled down my window to see if any b
irds were moving on the ocean. The ocean was choppy with lots of whitecaps and
a mist that limited visibility to about 1/2 mile.

The first bird I picked up in my binocs was a Black-vented Shearwater, working
south (into the wind) only 200 yards offshore. It stayed low and flapped fairly
continuously, and tipped up 3 times, showing me the white underparts including
wing linings. I was able to see that the under-tail was dark, and that the dark
hood extended well down on the cheeks.

I got out my scope and watched for about 15 minutes before the wind drove me
off. I did see 2 Sooty Shearwaters, 1 Ancient Murrelet (flying south), a few
Common Murres, a few Pacific Loons, and quite a few gulls, mainly Heermann's.

I returned about 9:45, and found a huge flock of Heermann's Gulls (800+)
working about 1/4 mile off the rocks. They were hanging above a rip, and
dipping to the surface. Few other birds accompanied them.

At 10:50 a flock of 450 Brown Pelican was sitting on the beach at the Mouth of
Spencer Creek, Beverley Beach State Park, along with 120 Heermann's Gulls and
several hundred California, Western, and GW Gulls.

At 11:30 the Brown Booby was on its regular perch 1/8 mile west of the Yaquina
Bay Bridge. Several Aduly Herring Gulls were among the Californias and Westerns
at the gull spot.

Wayne