[obol] Still more tales from Smith & Bybee

  • From: Tom McNamara <tmcmac67@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 21:48:51 -0700

I went out there in the late afternoon ignorant of Andy's sighting of the
Common Tern (damn)....from which you may rightly infer that I didn't see it.

My detections were pretty similar to what Steve Nord (sans the Snowy) and
with a few more Westerns than he had and, unlike, him I didn't do anywhere
near the precision counting he did.    Like Andy, I had 2 Bank Swallows
minimum---they were in a big swarm of BarnSW--so possibly there were a few
more.

Interesting to read that Steve had a close encounter with a Merlin and,
from reading the details on his ebird checklist it sounds from his
description of it being "dark" that it was either F.c. suckleyi or F.c.
columbarius.   Well as it happens  I too had a close encounter with a
Merlin as it "bino-bombed" (i.e. appeared suddenly in my field of view as I
was watching some flying Leasts) but the one I saw was clearly F.c.
richardsonii (i.e. Prairie Merlin in Sibley).  I got good, close dorsal and
ventral looks of the bird in good light.

good birding,
Tom