[obol] Re: Spotted Towhee

  • From: "Lew & Marti Ligocki" <ligockisas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tom-escue@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 17:14:36 -0800

We live in South Salem at about 350 ft. elevation in a typical suburban
neighborhood, except perhaps for more shrubs than usual.  We believe we have
them all winter.  This week they’ve (three of them) been present most days.
Plus, we’ve kept a yard list by date since Feb. 2002 and, we’ve recorded one on
the first of Jan, Feb and March at least once in that time.  They’re secretive
and we don’t keep a constant watch, so we believe that not seeing them doesn’t
mean they’re not here.  We don’t see Red-breasted nuthatches daily, but they’re
in and out so quickly a blink of the eye is enough to miss one.

We normally keep three hummingbird feeders up, but the extreme cold has lead us
to switch two of them ( the shallower dish-type) around daily.  The tube-type
is under an overhang and doesn’t freeze down to below 20.  We may have to bring
that one in tomorrow night.  The feeders that are out have had constant action
all day, but they’ve been pretty busy even before the cold.

Marti & Lew Ligocki
South Salem