[obol] Sparrow comparison - answers

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 18:16:20 -0700

Here's the answer to the sparrow comparison, as per Sibley:

10.5 gms              Brewer's Sparrow

12 gms                 Chipping Sparrow

17 gms                 Lincoln's Sparrow

19 gms                 Dark-eyed Junco

20 gms                 Song Sparrow

20 gms                 Savannah Sparrow

20 gms                 Am. Tree Sparrow

26 gms                 Vesper Sparrow

26 gms                 White-throated Sparrow

29 gms                 White-crowned Sparrow

29 gms                 Golden-crowned Sparrow

32 gms                 Fox Sparrow

36 gms                 Harris' Sparrow

The comparison that got me started on this was the Song vs. Fox comparison.
The Song is 2/3 the heft of a Fox Sparrow.

Good birding,

Paul