[obol] South of which border?

  • From: Kevin Smith <kevinsmithnaturephotos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 09:29:59 -0700

My wife , Kei, and I are back from the south (think LA, CA) and boy did we see something strange.  I beautiful La Verne (east of Hollywood) is a really nice big resevoir, FULL of water.  My sister likes to jog there but I wanted to photo birds, like well DUH!  Jumped out of the car, grabbed my camera, turned around and saw--- wait for it--- a bird I had NEVER seen before.  Long black tail, coloring and relative body size (except for the tail) of a Chickadee, EXCEPT for the bright orange beak!  Oh, and the beak was quite large, kind'a like a Cardinal.  And that TAIL-- like a Magpie, like a really LLOONNG tail.  Click, click, click. Got enough shots to get and ID.  Not in any of MY books.  Might be something from say Africa??  Called and left a note to LA Audubon.

Ring.  "Yes, we DO have birds like you describe".  "It IS from Africa and DOESN'T belong here in southern California.  It is a Pin-tailed Whydah".  'A WHADD'A, I ask?'  "A w,h,y,d,a,h" says the nice lady on the phone.  Thank you mam.  Now I really DO have a story to tell.  Don't believe me?  Check out these shots on my web site.  And by the way I am told that the ones w/o the bright orange beaks (there were THREE of them) are this season's fledglings!  A complete family of Pin-tailed Whydahs.  Right there in beautiful La Verne, California.

https://www.kevinsmithnaturephotos.com/Quick-Shots/i-tdmMfHJ/A

https://www.kevinsmithnaturephotos.com/Quick-Shots/i-wwzNTF2/A

And of course this link gets you to my latest "New Sightings" from the rest of the trip to the south (of California).

https://www.kevinsmithnaturephotos.com/New-Sightings/

Kevin Smith