[obol] Song vs. Fox Sparrow ID

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 08:52:48 +0000

Greetings All,
As many of you have probably experienced, visiting birders are often confounded
by the larger darker Song Sparrows that we enjoy here in the Pacific Northwest.
These birds are often misidentified as Fox Sparrows. As a follow-up to the
Least vs. Western Sandpiper piece, which many birders have found to be helpful,
I put together a photo essay and some helpful tips for sorting Song and Fox
Sparrows. These ID tips should work all over the country and across all four
sub-groups of Fox Sparrow. If you have comments about the article, I invite you
to post them on the BirdFellow site.
http://www.birdfellow.com/journal/2013/08/30/birding_101_song_sparrow_vs_fox_sparrow_made_easy
Dave IronsPortland, Or