[obol] Some tips on separating juv. Western and Least Sandpipers

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 17:06:34 +0000

I was inspired by an encounter with another birder at Fernhill Wetlands
yesterday. So I spent about 30 minutes taking comparative photos of juvenile
Least and Western Sandpipers. During the editing process, I put some thought
into how I separate these birds in the field, especially from distance, when
seeing the leg color well isn't possible. Here's a link to the resulting post
to the BirdFellow Journal.
http://www.birdfellow.com/journal/2013/08/16/birding_101_juvenile_least_and_western_sandpipers
Dave IronsPortland, OR