[obol] Snowy Plovers

  • From: DJLauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 10:21:55 -0700

Hi folks,

Just wanted to make a friendly comment about Snowy Plovers on the Oregon Coast.   I just got back from our fall annual meeting, and there was some talk about some "birders" getting a little too over enthusiastic about nesting Snowy Plovers on the north coast.    I have also heard this through the birding grapevine.

So a reminder that Snowy Plovers are protected by the Endangered Species Act.   Entering any plover nesting area or restricted area is a serious violation.   Any behavior that may harass the plovers can be considered a violation.    That includes approaching birds to photograph them or being around any active nest.

All  plover nesting areas are currently monitored by either state or federal agency biologists, or volunteers that have been trained who work with the state and federal agencies.    If you are not part of the program, please do not approach, harass, or enter any nesting area.    Please give the birds space.    There are plenty of opportunities to see, photograph, and enjoy Snowy Plovers. Please be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

While I have stated that we are interested in color combos of the banded plovers, please be aware that this does not mean anyone has a right to harass or approach plovers or enter nesting areas.  The facts are that most of the birds are well documented by trained individuals either from the agencies or associated with the program.    While we appreciate the extra sitings, they are not completely necessary as we tend to get the information through our normal work and the people who do the work.    So please do not automatically think that you have to get or know that band combo on some plover - chances are we already have the data and no data is worth harassing birds or entering nesting areas or overly observing nesting birds.

If you are really interested in plovers, there are ways to potentially contribute and that requires contacting the appropriate agency and getting trained to be a volunteer. Please enjoy the recovery of plovers, but remember they are a protected species and the best thing we can do for them is give them as much space as possible to do what plovers do, which is try to raise a family just like most of us humans want to do (in peace!).

Thanks for your time and apologies for taking up space.

Cheers

Dave Lauten

Oregon Biodiversity Information Center

Institute for Natural Resources