[obol] Skinner's Butte & my yard

  • From: Ellen Cantor <ellencantor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 14:57:14 -0700

Skinner's Butte was hopping at 8:15 this morning.  Dave Jones arrived when
I did, and shortly after Al Prigge, then Sally Hill.  But it was also
hopping with warblers. On the south side of the beginning of the loop
trail, the Big Leaf Maple's pendants of flowers were the popular spot, and
a large flock of warblers--mostly ORANGE-CROWNED with several TOWNSENDS,
and YELLOW-RUMPS were actively feeding on the flowers.  Later in the
flowering bushes along the top of the northside road, a wave of
RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS joined the warbler crew.  I also saw one HUTTON'S
VIREO, and the BALD EAGLE sitting on its nest in exactly the same position
I'd seen it in 2 days ago.  Then the other member of the BALD EAGLE pair
swooped low across the south treeline just below the meadow.

BUSHTITS, BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEES, AND JUNCOS also were numerous.

This afternoon in my yard, just 1 mile due west of downtown Eugene, HOUSE
FINCHES were eating the petals from my flowering quince.  Several
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS  appeared as well as a bright male YELLOW-RUMP,
BUSHTITS, and a SPOTTED TOWHEE.  It's been active in my yard all afternoon.

Yea! migration
Ellen in Eugene