[obol] Re: Siskins, Bewick's Wren

  • From: Anne Duston <aeduston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 22:41:17 -0700

I, too, have Bewick's in my yard all year round. Sometimes they disappear for awhile, and then suddenly return, cranking their cranky little call. They love my suet feeder, and will even chase starlings away from it. The flickers don't seem to pay it any mind, and the nuthatches just move to the opposite side of the suet cake, sort of like "I can't see you so you're not there."

The main Flicker male has been very quiet. I found what I presume to be the female he'd been courting and drumming for - broken and dead under a window in a part of the yard that I don't usually see flickers. Might have been chased there by a hawk; I've seen a few of those wheeling about in the area.

Anne in East Portland, directly north of Powell Butte

Msg: #19 in digest
From: "Paul Sullivan"<paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Siskins, Bewick's Wren
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 12:29:01 -0700

I get Bewick's Wrens in my yard year-around.  They come to the suet feeder
and to the millet on the ground.  They nest in a thicket across the street
and sing there.

POST: Send your post to obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol
Contact moderator: obol-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx