[obol] Re: Single Pine Siskin

  • From: Hannah Fritz <hannah.fritz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOLINKS <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 10:14:39 -0800

I, too, have had a fair number of Pine Siskins here in St. Helens on my
thistle feeders. In most years, I'd be lucky to see one per year. Though I
understand that nomadic coming and going of Pine Siskins is not unusual.
But I would guess this year they are definitely COMING.

Like Jeff/Lauretta, I had one window strike, which I went out to
investigate, and found the little guy/gal stunned on the ground. I put it
up on my porch using a rag, and observed it for a few minutes, before it
was thankfully able to take off. There's so many neighbor cats roaming
around though, I didn't want to leave it on the ground.

This morning, they were also joined by a large flock of EVENING GROSBEAK
(not on the thistle feeder), one Downy male eating some suet, and the
normal winter assortment of sparrows and squabbling Anna's Hummingbirds.

Hannah
St. Helens, OR

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Jeff and Lauretta Young <
jeffandlaurettayoung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Over the past two days our yard in Cedar Mill/Bethany area near Beaverton
has been totally mobbed by huge flocks of PINE SISKINS

there are so many I literally cannot count but I estimate several hundred..

all flying around frantically… some unfortunately flying into the windows…
almost all vying for spots on the seed feeders

Certainly entertainment for cats…

Lauretta

On Nov 10, 2015, at 9:43 AM, Carol <imcaroling@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A single Pine Siskin was at our feeder this morning. A rarity in our yard.

-Carol Hiler
N. Albany