[obol] Seasonal birds in the Eugene area

  • From: bcombs232@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 00:14:38 -0700

Today I stayed home for a while to take care of some yard work instead of
hiding from it out in the woods somewhere.

Afterward, I sat and relaxed inside at the window watching my feeder area. It
was a good day to be home. First, a LINCOLN'S SPARROW came in to feed on the
ground where I scatter seeds. This is my second sighting this season, and
could have been a different bird as the other was here a while ago. Next, a
CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD came in to take advantage of my twinberry bush, which has
turned into a behemoth over the years. If I keep it watered, it will bloom
into August. MALLARDS were using my roof as a roosting spot, and came down to
eat some cracked corn that I had scattered on the ground away from the smaller
seeds. I don't know how common roof roosting is for MALLARDS, but they have
been doing it here for a number of years.

Later, I went to Agate Hall to check on the VAUX's SWIFTS. I counted 103
entering the chimney, not very many more than last week. This time, though, a
COOPER'S HAWK was there waiting, causing at least one bird to fail to make it
onto the count. The hawk came back later, fluttered briefly when no swifts
were entering, then quickly flew away. By then it was getting dark, and I
could not see whether it had caught a bird that had chosen a roosting spot too
close to the top. It seems unlikely, though, that the hawk would have left
empty-taloned.

Sent from my iPad