[obol] Sauvie Island and possibly Scappoose CBC spots

  • From: Nikki Chapman <nikkichapman19@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 10:49:09 -0800

Hello Everyone,

I signed up for the Sauvie Island CBC because I spend a lot of time out
there and it seemed a natural choice. I do the best I can alongside the
seasonal closures and every other day hunting, and of course the CBC is
scheduled on a non-hunt day. The coordinater inquired from a friend, who
is also doing the count, of any fave spots on Sauvie and possibly
Scappoose, which I guess is in the geographical region. My two cents were:

Wapato Greenway
Rentanaar Road
Large bird blind on Reeder Road
Warrior Rock trail, maybe the initial mile or so with possible access to
newer Ruby wetlands

Am I missing anything obvious?

And I have had little luck birding around Scappoose in the past, seems like
nil on public access. Does anyone know of any spots there? I'm not sure if
our area is limited to the Columbia, but it seems like birding a portion of
the woods heading up into the hills would be interesting for variety, but
again, it all seems like private land. Any thoughts on spots would be
immensely appreciated.

I had a good time on Rentenaar Rd. yesterday, quite a huge number of Snow
Geese mixed in with Canada. I don't know if I've ever seen them flying in
formation together. Also saw a group of American White Pelicans high up
passing by. I don't remember seeing them this late in the year.
Some more Sandhill Cranes, and my sparrow hunt turned up almost
predominantly chubby Golden-Crowneds with a couple Song Sparrows thrown in.
The sun was out, the day was gorgeous. Here's a link to flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132973942@N05/

Happy CBC's,

Nikki Chapman