[obol] Sauvie Island White-throated Sparrow and Racetrack Lake shorebirds

  • From: Wink Gross <winkg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 12:42:51 -0700

The pup and I birded Sauvie Island this morning.  About half-way out Rentenaar
Road,
I was surprised to see an immature WHITE-THROATED SPARROW.  BOGR says they
show up in September, so this is pretty early.  Makes me wonder where it
hatched.

Unless you're a carp, conditions at Racetrack Lake are ideal.  I counted 135
LONG-
BILLED DOWITCHERS, about 150 LEAST SANDPIPERS, 40 KILLDEER, 2 SEMI-
PALMATED PLOVERS, 5 GREATER YELLOWLEGS, 2 LESSER YELLOWLEGS,
3 WESTERN SANDPIPERS, and a single WILSON'S PHALAROPE.  There were also
about 35 GREAT BLUE HERONS and an equal number of GREAT EGRETS, including
at least 2 juvie egrets.  At least 5 BALD EAGLES (2 adults) kept stirring
things up.

Racetrack is going to be worth checking the next couple of weeks, especially
when the
water is high at Sturgeon Lake.  We got there by walking south from the west
end of
Rentenaar Road.  You can also access it by walking west from the Stedman(?)
unit
parking lot on Reeder Road (just before you get to the marina).

Wink Gross
Portland