[obol] Re: Sauvie Island Chipping Sparrow

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: andydfrank@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 19:41:35 -0700

On Apr 24, 2015, at 4:45 PM, Andy Frank <andydfrank@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A pleasant surprise this morning was a CHIPPING SPARROW on Sauvie Island. It
was in front of the house at 22700 NW Gillihan. I saw it fly north after a
few minutes, so it may not still be around.

A SORA called at Wapato Greenway, also on Sauvie Island.

I walked down to Coon Pt hoping for shorebirds, and found 1 GREATER YELLOWLEGS

Andy Frank

Chipping Sparrows used to nest on Sauvie's Island, particularly Oak Island when
it was an open oak forest that was grazed. They also nested near a few houses
with lawns and oak trees and sometimes those with Douglas firs. Chipping
Sparrows have greatly declined in the Portland area in the past 50 years.

Jeff Gilligan