[obol] Sauvie Island Bank Swallows (photo)

  • From: Andy Frank <andydfrank@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 19:19:09 -0700

A few weeks ago Largs Norgen posted about a BANK SWALLOW colony on Sauvie
Island, and I got out there today and sure enough there they were.  There
are about a dozen holes in the bank and several birds were actively flying
about.  Once one enters a nest hole, it can take quite awhile before coming
out again.

They are very difficult to photograph.  One bird briefly perched on a wire,
but otherwise they were flying, or in a nest hole, the whole time I was
there.  But if you take enough photos, some are bound to come out and here
are two from today:  http://andyfrank.blogspot.com/.  Left-clicking
enlarges them.

Directions:  take Reeder Rd on the east side of the island north to where
it ends at a parking lot.  At the north end of the lot, take the path to
the beach and walk north about 1/10 of a mile and the bank will be on your
left.

Andy Frank