[obol] Sauvie Is. Sanderling, Forster's Tern, etc.

  • From: Adrian Hinkle <adrian.hinkle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, portland-area-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 20:12:53 -0700

Christopher and I took some friends birding out on Sauvie Island today. We
visited Oak Island and Coon Point. Numerous shorebirds, gulls, and
especially ducks were on Sturgeon Lake, which is rather low (but certainly
can be variable). Several flocks of Cackling Geese, Horned and Western
Grebes, and a smattering of egrets and pelicans were also on the lake. One
imm. FORSTER'S TERN was flying around and hanging out on the far shore of
the lake. At Coon Point, we had an immature SANDERLING with Western
Sandpipers, as well as a juv. Short-billed Dowitcher.

Good birding,

Adrian and Christopher Hinkle