[obol] Santiam Pass - Oregon's Highest CBC! - Jan 4

  • From: Stephen Shunk <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: COBOL <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 10:02:33 -0800

Greetings, All,
I'm looking for a few more birders to join me for the Santiam Pass
Christmas Bird Count, Saturday, January 4. The count circle include
portions of Linn, Jefferson, and Deschutes counties.

Not only is this Oregon's highest CBC, but it's also one of the easiest in
the state, with an average of only 33 species on the count. If you can ID
chickadees and nuthatches, we need you! We especially need skiers and
snowshoers for several easy trails on the pass and the west side of the
circle. We also have a recent burn (Shadow Lake) in the circle, where you
would have an excellent chance for BLACK-BACKED and THREE-TOED WOODPECKERS
(the count history includes 9 woodpecker species!).

As a bonus, we also start late--about 9 a.m.--to give you plenty of time to
get up on the pass. And we have a great countdown spot at the Boathouse
Restaurant on Suttle Lake.

If you can break away that Saturday, please get in touch with me and I will
send you the details.
I hope to see you there!
Steve Shunk

--