[obol] Santiam Pass CBC Results

  • From: Stephen Shunk <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, COBOL <COBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 08:26:51 -0800

All,
The 17th annual Santiam Pass CBC is history. Thanks to our 19 volunteers
who turned out for the event on a gorgeous, sunny New Year's Day!
We ended the day with a dead-on average tally of 33 species and a low total
number of birds at 332, on an average of 516. Deep snow limited our access
to primary access points, especially on the lower east side of the circle,
and both Clear Lake and Suttle Lake were mostly frozen, keeping our
waterbird numbers way down. A summary is below.

Enjoy the last days of the CBC season!
Steve Shunk

17th SANTIAM CBC SUMMARY 1/1/2013
33 species, 332 total birds

Waterbirds:
CANADA GOOSE - 16, avg 8; found only 8 of 17 prior years
MALLARD - 1, avg 7; low count, though missed on 4 prior years
RING-NECKED DUCK - 40, avg 9, only found on 6 prior counts
Bufflehead, both goldeneyes, and coot all well below average

Raptors:
BALD EAGLE - 4, twice the average of 2 and second highest tally ever
NO. PYGMY-OWL - 1; only found on 4 prior counts
Large owl sp - 1, seen only briefly; Great Gray, Great Horned, and Spotted
owls all found on only 1 prior count each

Woodpeckers:
WILLIAMSON'S SAPSUCKER - 2, high count; only 1 found on 3 prior counts
RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER - 3, high count; only found on 4 prior counts
DOWNY WOODPECKER - 1; only found twice before

Passerines:
Gray Jay, CB Chickadee, RB Nuthatch, and GC Kinglet all well below average
PACIFIC WREN - 4; twice the avg of 2, found on 10 prior counts
AMERICAN ROBIN - 50; found on only 3 prior counts

--
Stephen Shunk
Paradise Birding

OBOL archives can be found at www.freelists.org/archive/obol.

To manage your account or to unsubscribe from OBOL, go to
//www.freelists.org/list/obol and enter your email address in the box.